Blog is moving

My blog is moving to http://victormendonca.com/blog/. If you are looking for a specific or older post you are in the right place Otherwise check out my new page for more up to date content.

Friday, November 28, 2008

Acer Aspire One Review


So, a couple of weeks ago I was checking the price of a Aspire One and I could not believe how low it was. At one of the top computer stores here in Canada (canadacomputers.com), a 120GB model was going for about $325.00.

I already have an EeePc 701 (4GB) which is very handy. But the limitation of HD space and size of the monitor was something that kept bothering me (even giving me red eyes).

The AA1 is incredible. My model came with 120BG of disk space, a 8.9 screen with up to 1024x600 resolution (which beats the EeePc's 800x600 resolutions by far), dual core Atom processor and 512MB of RAM. The battery life is actually pretty good for my opinion, but I've read a lot of complaints. I can get close to 2 hours.

I don't have much to say about the original OS. As soon as I got home I attached a USB CD and booted into the Ubuntu install. Followed guides from here, which were pretty easy. I also decided on using Hardy instead of Intrepid. I don't usually keep my OS installs with the latest releases anyways.

Overall it's a great buy for the price. I've heard that some of the new models will allow you the option between 3G and WiMax built-in.

Here are some pics of the unit.

Unit by itself

Compared to EeePC



Box and Packages

Booting on Live CD

Live CD Booted

After installed and customized

More customization

No comments: