Blog is moving
My blog is moving to http://victormendonca.com/blog/. If you are looking for a specific or older post you are in the right place Otherwise check out my new page for more up to date content.
Monday, January 14, 2008
Google Search Regex
Well, they are not really the same regex as we can use on Linux or programming. But some of the “tags” are pretty good and can help you on a lot of searches.
I've organized them in a manner that I thought made the best sense. But the sites where I got the information from do have them in different others, as well as some other tags that I did not find as important. The links are at the end of the post.
- "+" - Result must contain word
- "-" - Result must not contain word
- "OR" and "|" - Applied between two words, it will find "this or that", or both. The "OR" operator must be uppercase and have a space between the 2 words on each side. The "|" operator does not need a space between the words
- " "" " - Finds an exact match of the word or phrase
- "~" - Looks for synonyms or similar items. Eg: "~run" will match runner's and marathon
- ".." - Indicates that there's a range between number. Eg: 100..200 or $100..$200
- "*" - Matches a word or more. Eg: "Advanced * Form" finds "Advanced Search Form"
- "word-word" - All forms (spelled, singe word, phrase and hyphenated
- "site:" - Search only one website or domain. Eg: "PC site:wazem.org" will find PC within wazem.org
- "filetype:" or "ext:" - Search for docs in the file type. Eg: "Linux tutorial filetype:pdf" will find Linux tutorial in the pdf format
- "link:" - Find linked pages (pages that point to the URL)
- "define:" - Provides definition for a word or a phrase
- "cache:" - Display Google's cached version of a web page.
- "info:" - Info about a page
- "related:" - Websites related to the URL
- "allinurl:" - All words must be in the URL
- "allintitle:" - All words must be in the title of the page
- "intittle:" - Match words in the title of the page
- "source:" - News articles from a specific source
- "+ - * /" - Normal math signs. Eg: 12 * 4 + 2 - 1 /2
- "% of" - Percentage. Eg:10% of 100
- "^" or "**" - Raise to a power
- units "in" units - Convert Units (currency, measurements, weight). Eg: 300 lbs in Kg, 40 in hex
- "book" or "books" - Search books. Eg: book "LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell"
GoogleGuide.com Advanced Operators